Monday, October 6, 2008

Prelim thoughts for Essay

Will Landschulz
Am. Lit Per. 2
Mrs. LaMagdeleine

There's a problem with choosing one charity to advertise to the class.  There are so darn many!  Even connected to our school alone, there is Brooke's place, The Lord's Pantry, School 88, and Art with a Heart, not to mention the other non-profit organizations that the students know about but don't mention.  For example, I have put in some time at an food preparation center called Second Helpings.  They receive donations of foods that are just past the sell-by date but still usable, foods that somehow escaped the buying frenzy of the day before but are too numerous to put in the next batch of stock, and foods in similar condition from restaurants, grocery stores, and other food industry establishments.  They use that food to create healthy, safe meals for organizations such as soup kitchens and the like.  They also have a division teaching people how to cook, using fresher foods.  I'm choosing them for the focus of my essay, for their noble goal and their methodical system, which I admire.

No comments: