Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Huck's trick

Will Landschulz
Am Lit Per. 2
Mrs. Lamagdeleine

Huck lives in the moment.  He holds a contempt for those past ("I don't put much stock in dead people.") nor in superstitions ("What did you say when I fetched in the snake-skin that I found on the ridge?  You said it was the worst bad luck in the world to touch a snake-skin with your bare hands.  Well, here's your bad luck!).  Huck is white and Jim is black, leaving Huck with fewer qualms about tricking him as he would a white adult.  However, the trick had unintended consequences.   The snake carcass he put in Jim's bed had a mate, which found it and then attacked the thing that came closest, i.e. Jim's foot.  Huck, looking on, is petrified for an instant, then curses his stupidity and knocks out the offending serpent.  However, he does not seem too feel too much remorse as much as he does anger at himself for overlooking the snake's mate.  All his emotion seems to be toward his not planning the prank correctly, other than a moral self-condemnation. 

2 comments:

WTBsleepplox said...

I thought that originally Huck might have respected Jim's wish's of not having a snake skin near or on him at any time because he thought it was bad luck. But Huck is different, because he did in fact as you've said put it in his bed. Now i found it interesting that Huck didn't come to tell Jim that he had placed the snake skin his his bed.

n00b said...

I had thought that the reason Huck was angry was because he felt bad because his trick took a wrong turn. He never intended for Jim to be seriously hurt; h just wanted to scare him. But, after reading your entry I realized that part of his anger was also, like you said, towards his planning of the trick.