Am. Lit period 5
Mrs. LaMagdeleine
Gatsby's "count of enchanted items" once included the light on the end of Daisy's dock, a symbol of unattainable beauty held tantalizingly close. However, during the tea at Nick's house, with the object of Gatsby's devotion within the circle of his arms, the symbol is suddenly meaningless. There are still tensions and difficulties ahead though. No matter how many hours Gatsby steals with Daisy, she is still married to her churlish husband, Tom. Tom's possessiveness will still be a source of worry for Gatsby. If Daisy is invited to one of his parties, then Tom will tag along and possibly find out about Daisy's love for Gatsby. This will set up a growing antagonism between them, which will eventually erupt into the climax of the book. Gatsby knows that, with Tom's violent nature, the light of his love could all too easily be extinguished.
2 comments:
Will,
I really liked the way you looked at the reading. I also liked how you used churl in your response. :] I agree with what you said though. I interpreted it differently and I interpreted it wrong and your blog is a really good explanation//prediction of what is to come.
Will, I think you are reading too far into Tom's violence. gatsby is not thinking of that here. 1.5
Post a Comment